Simon Haley has demonstrated that best practice in social media can help to connect farmers across the country.
Whilst in post as Northern Rural Business Advisor for Reading Agricultural Consultants, Simon completed his MSc dissertation, which looked at the value of social media, specifically Twitter in terms of economic and social values.
Since graduating, Simon has been recognised for his work in enabling successful farming social media networking by a variety of organisations. He holds a number of key roles within the agricultural sector, including:
• Associate of Reading Agricultural Consultants, specialising in business management and rural development, 2012 to date
• Probationer member of CAAV and probationer representative on the Lancashire Agricultural Valuers Association Council, 2018 to date
• Course delegate of the Institute of Agricultural Management Leadership Development Programme in 2016
• Course delegate of the Worshipful Company of Farmers Challenge of Rural Leadership course in 2015
• Treasurer of the British Guild of Agricultural Journalists, 2014-2017
Simon has provided consultancy on strategic rural business advice and as of 2017, Simon is also co-owner of Social Jungle Ltd, a social media consultancy and training firm to the food, farming and rural business industry sectors.
As part of his business, and to extend the use of social media to benefit farmers, Simon is the founder of the @FarmersOfTheUK, @FarmsOfTheWorld and @AgriChatUK twitter accounts, these accounts now total over 60,000 followers.
Simon still has a keen interest in agriculture but his MSc is helping him to develop his knowledge through an international perspective in order to expand the reach of his social media networking and support.